28 August 2014

Strength

Strength can be defined in many ways. I, personally, never really considered myself to be a strong person. I would not say that I am weak, but over time I have learned to become stronger mentally, emotionally, and somewhat physically.

The past five months have brought me the following:
  • Six interviews with four different companies, none of which offered me the job 
  • Five months of job searching and not one job lead (that may change next week, though)
  • Four job recruiters, none of which found me a job
  • Two breakups (Submitting RSVPs to four weddings during that time was really fun, let me tell you)
  • I survived two layoffs at my current job
All of this was going on while my current employer is going through a merger. The merger closes tomorrow. Our bank is being bought by an Asian-American bank out of California. 

Now, I am aware that there are many people out there who are way worse off than I am. I have my health and I have a job, so those alone are reason to celebrate and be happy. I look at the word strength and define it much differently today than I did five months ago. You HAVE to be a strong, tough cookie to remain positive, despite the curve balls life throws your way.

I am a much stronger woman having gone through what I have. Everyone has battles they endure, that will never change. It is how you handle your situation that makes you different and makes you appreciate the good and positive. One of my best friends has a saying, "I refuse to sink." This statement rings true to me that no matter what I face, I will not sink. I refuse. I have my family, my friends, and my loving dog to help get me through anything and everything.

When times are tough and you find yourself struggling, always remember the good. Always remember that there is a way out, there is a silver lining, and no matter what, BE STRONG. You can and will prevail.


No comments:

Post a Comment